Our rental has these great french doors, but for some unknown reason, they’re the only windows in our townhouse that didn’t come with blinds. Our landlord won’t let us install the hardware needed to hang binds, so I came up with a creative solution using command hooks.
First, I took a trip to my local fabric store and chose a cotton medium weight fabric. For my two french doors, I needed about 4 1/4 yards. I measured the window area and added 1 1/2 inches to each side to account for my hems. Then, I cut my fabric to size. As you can see, Aurora was a huge help while I was cutting the fabric 🙂
Then I folded each edge of the fabric in 1/2″ and ironed to form a smooth edge. This will smooth and hid the “raw” cut edges.
I made a second fold — this time 1″– and ironed smooth as well. This will form the actual hem.
Once I had creased all my edges, I unfolded the corners.
To form a nice smooth corner, I flipped the fabric over and then folded it into a triangle. Make sure the big square in the image above is a perfect triangle and all of your creases line up. Place a pin into the triangle to hold the fabric in place. the pin should point towards the folded edge just like in the image below.
Sew right along this pin; from the folded edge to the outer crease. Make sure to lock your stitches by reversing the sewing machine a few times at the beginning and end of the line.
Your sewn triangle should look somewhat like mine below.
Cut along your sewn line, leaving about 1/4″ of extra fabric.
Inside-out your corner and refold all the creases. I re-ironed all of my seams to keep them crisp then stuck a few pins in to keep the fabric in place. Then, make a single stitch hem around the entire edge of the panel.
At this point, my panel is done and hemmed. Now, to hang the panel, I am going to create “tabs” for my rod to slip through. First, I cut four 2″x3″ rectangles.
Then, I folded in each side about 1/4″, ironed the creases, and pinned it.
Again, sew a hem around all 4 sides of the tab.
I pinned the tabs at the top of the panel, making sure to space them evenly. I also wanted two tabs near the left and right edges to make sure to hold the rod in place. Then, I sewed the tabs in place with my sewing machine.
Now it’s time to cut my rods. I used 2 dowel rods. I laid them on my panel and marked where I needed to cut, making them just slightly shorter than the panels so they are hidden when hung.
Then, I used a razor blade to cut the dowel rods on the marked line.
Thread the dowel rod through the tabs.
I mounted 2 evenly spaced command hooks at the top of my window (I put one in the middle of the first panel and the second in the middle of the third panel). I mounted 2 more command hooks about a quarter of the way down the window on each side. Then, I hung the rod on the top hooks.
This part’s basically trial and error. Hold the panel on each side and make a fold underneath. Then, make a second fold, bringing the folds up to meet the lower command hooks. Basically, they should look like roman shade folds. I used a tape measure and chalk to mark where I made each fold.
Then, I cut pieces of elastic to make loops for the second hook. I pinned the elastic to the panel at my chalk marks and sewed the elastic in place.
Make sure to double over to ensure the elastic is secure.
Trim the ends.
Finally, hang the panels back up and fold your panels back up. Hook the loops on the lower command hook to secure them.
Ta da! Plus, you can unhook the loops to cover the full window.
Let me know if you try out this DIY in the comments section below. I’d love to hear how it worked for you!